MTB Brake recommendation

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

1spd

by 1spd

Well you may very well have to bleed them right out of the box because chances are the cables will be too long. None the less, I have the XTR M985 race brakes and couldn't be happier (well of course I could with a set of R1's). But I did have the chance to try the Hope X2's and those are frickn sweet as well. I thought the XTR's bit a little harder though and they actually do weigh less. In the end the guy I was getting them from had both sets and both were brand new (though the XTR's were still in the box). He decided to keep the Hopes so I got a screaming deal on the XTR's. Quite satisfied. I have only bled them once and the only adjustments I have had to make is resetting the caliper when swapping wheels out. They seem to rub slightly when switching wheels. Nothing a 4mm and a squeeze of the lever can't fix quite quickly.

I don't know if I would have gone with the trail versions. They weigh more and I have no need for the "cooling" fins. I ride XC, not down hill and I ride a SS at that. The race versions still have the lever reach adjustment but you need a small allen wrench for it as opposed to being tool free like the trails. Seriously though, I set it and haven't touched it in two months. Do I really need a tool free knob hanging out there, that's just extra weight in my book.
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

1spd wrote: Do I really need a tool free knob hanging out there, that's just extra weight in my book.

Is the extra weight worth the practicality? I would say so. The amount of weight you are talking about is placebo at best.

Oh I forgot what site I'm on though...

by Weenie

jooo

by jooo

1spd wrote:Do I really need a tool free knob hanging out there, that's just extra weight in my book.

ahhh not true: http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenies/xtr-race-brakes-vs-xtr-trail-brakes-weight-savings-real-740626.html